As the government shutdown enters its second week, the message by the Democrats is loud and clear: use the shutdown to cause as much pain to the American people in order to promote their big government agenda. Progressive liberals had already targeted WWII veterans from visiting their memorial in Washington, D.C. and their nets get wider with every passing day.
The Washington Times reported that a Park Service ranger told them, “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.” The National Park Service has worked overtime to close off trails and parks to the public despite the fact that it costs more to have rangers stationed to keep an area closed as opposed to leaving it open. This continues to show the utter contempt that President Obama and his progressive liberal allies hold the average American citizen.
More stories are flooding in about how Democrats are doing their level best to put the screws to the public.
- An elderly couple (77 and 80) at Lake Mead, Nevada, were given 24 hours to move out of their privately-owned house because it sat upon federal land.
- Park Service rangers are actively blocking the parking lot of the Pisgah Inn in North Carolina as the owner refused to follow a mandated deadline to close his privately-run inn.
- A tourist group composed of foreign (Australia, Canada, and Japan) and domestic travelers were locked in a hotel under armed guard in Yellowstone National Park. The group was later forced to leave the park and was not allowed to stop at a in-park rest stop to use the bathroom. They had to make a full two-and-a-half hour drive to a bathroom facility outside the park.
- The US government shut down the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which cut off access to the Foothills Parkway, the major thoroughfare in Blount County, Tennessee. The local school district was unable to send children home on buses due to the other county roads are impassable by bus and are dangerous (locals call these roads “white-knuckle roads”). The federal government gave no warning and the school had to call parents to come pick up their children. As of now, there is no bus service available due to the road closure.
- The US military furloughed roughly 50 Catholic priests and they were not able to celebrate Mass over the weekend. They were told that they could not perform any services, be it Mass or a baptism. Some priests have reported that they were told that if they engaged in any priestly duties, they would be subject to disciplinary action.
- Tourists in Cooke City, Montana, are trapped in the town due to the government shutting down Yellowstone Park. There are only two roads out of the town and one of them is closed due to snow. The other runs through Yellowstone and is closed to tourist traffic. Local citizens have a special pass to get through but tourists are trapped.
- In the most despicable case, the government is not paying death benefits to families of troops killed in combat. The bodies of four soldiers are arriving at Dover Air Force Base tomorrow but the government is forcing family members to pay their own way to travel to the base to claim the bodies.
All of these examples just shows the true nature of progressive liberals and their petty natures. They could care less about hard-working, tax-paying Americans or the families of our fallen heroes. Yet, the Obama administration is allowing an pro-illegal alien rally upon the National Mall that is hosted by unions such as the SEIU and the AFL-CIO. Remember under progressive liberals, everyone is equal. It’s just that some people are more equal than others. Orwell spoke the truth almost seventy years ago.